As a community website we thrive on the input of the wider community and welcome all different types of articles from Spilsby and the wider geographical area. If you have some local news please feel free to submit it. We will review it and, if it is suitable, we will add the article to the site.
However, we realise that you some may have relevant news but not the confidence to put together an article. If you have some news that you think local people would be interested in, but you do not know how to go about writing an article, please contact us giving brief details of your news as well as details for how we can contact you if we need more information.
Alternatively, if you would like to send us a press release, please email it to . This should be used for press enquiries and releases only. To contact us for any other reason please use our contact form.
If you want to include photos in your news article, please send them to us by email along with your article text (rather than using the online form) to the email address.
What is "News"?
Our definition of news is information that tells the local population something they were not aware of and may be interested in. This is a very broad definition of news because we are able to take a wider view of our community.
We do not have the same overheads as traditional print media and are able to provide your message to our readership without issues relating to funding, space or other overheads. This means we can publish articles on any number of subjects and interests, so long as they are local or are likely to have a local impact.
The other advantage is we can get an article up and published online very quickly - we do not have publication dates or deadlines to hit.
How and where does my article get published?
Our articles remain on the Spilsby Online website. However, we post extracts and headlines to the social media websites Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr. Links to the articles are also provided to Google for inclusion in their search engine to ensure they can always be found online.
Can you send someone to cover my event or news?
Spilsby Online is a community website that enables users to submit their own news articles. We do not have the capacity to cover everything around the area but allow for anyone to publish their news articles on the site.
That said, we do try to ensure that every large scale event is covered by a member of our editorial team, where possible.
How to submit a press release or news of my own for publication?
Spilsby Online accept news articles and press releases relating to the local area. We aim to publish as many as possible. You do not have to complete any registration in order to submit a press release or news article.
- You can find the add news page by moving your mouse over the news heading on the top menu. It is one of the options in the drop down. Alternatively, click here for the direct link.
- The next page will ask you for a number of pieces of information as well as the text of your news.
- Your email address - this is required and we will not publish without it. We may need to contact you about your article.
- Article Title - the name or title of your news
- Article Description - a brief overview of what your news article is saying. Usually this can be the first sentence of your main article. We recommend only one or two short sentences.
- Article Body - this is where your article goes.
- News Category - select the most appropriate category for your article.
- Link Title (1-5) and Link URL (1-5) - if you wish to link to other pages on the website or other websites this is the place to do so. We prefer links to be made from this section rather than from the body of the article. You can have up to five links, ensuring you fill in the full title of the link and the URL it should point the user towards (such as Title: Spilsby Online News URL: http://www.spilsbyonline.co.uk/news).
- Once you are happy with the information on screen, click on Submit. This will submit your article for editorial checking.
- Once the Site Editor has checked the article and made any appropriate changes, assuming the article meets taste and decency requirements, the article will be published.
Please be aware that the Site Editor's decision regarding the publication of articles is final.