This article was published on May 11, 2016 and information contained within may now be out of date.
Three men are accused of stealing more than £71,000 after gaining access to a Lincolnshire town hall.
Peter Hoyles, 31, of Willoughby Road in Sutton on Sea appeared at Skegness Magistrates Court alongside Samuel Harrison, 28, from Shiphay with Willows in Torquay and Phillip David Carter, 38, of Cockington in Chelston in Torquay, accused of taking £71,547.64 from Skegness Town Hall.
The money was takings collected from the town’s car parks.
The men are accused of taking the money by trespassing at the town hall on North Parade between August 27 last year and September 1.
All three men, represented by different solicitors did not indicate a plea to the allegation and spoke only to confirm their names and addresses.
Magistrates felt the case was so serious it should go before a judge at Lincoln Crown Court.
Prosecutor Mark Salt said it was not suitable to be heard by the town’s magistrates due to the large amount of money allegedly taken.
He said: “The prosecution would argue it was a very organised and planned burglary where access was gained without making any damage whatsoever. Access was made using keys which only people in authority should have had. Because of this, it should be heard at crown court.”
All three men will appear at Lincoln Crown Court on June 7 for a plea and case management hearing,
They were granted unconditional bail.
Skegness Town Hall is owned by East Lindsey District Council.
As well as being one of the council’s community access points, Skegness Town Council and Skegness, East Coast and Wolds Hoteliers Association are both also based in the building.