Promise of action after vandalism at Spilsby allotments
This article was published on January 18, 2016 and information contained within may be out of date.
A new tough line is to be taken on anyone damaging property or pathways at Spilsby allotments.
Problems of a rose bush being poisoned, pots damaged and the removal of pathways were highlighted at a town council meeting last year by allotment holder Jill Young.
Jill stated that she had been disillusioned by the support of the council after attending three council meetings when she had been the target of vandalism over a period of 15 months.
Any person damaging paths or property will be reported to the police.Councillor Julia Pears
Spilsby Town Council
She said: “I had pots broken nine times, fencing slashed, windows broken and a rosebush poisoned, What if my vegetables had been poisoned?
“I also asked the council why the people who ploughed the middle track and footpath were still being allowed to do it?”
However, chairman of Spilsby Town Council Julia Pears said police have been watching activities and allotments were now on the agenda both at the full council and amenities committee meetings.
She said: “Councillors Pete Grant and Mark Gale re-instated paths and made improvements last year but someone vandalised their work.
“All allotment holders are now to have a new contract that is renewable each year. A map showing all allotments and paths between them will be displayed in the council office. Any person damaging paths or property will be reported to the police. If an allotment holder damages paths or property they will no longer be able to have a Spilsby Town Council allotment. Other allegations we have received are that some allotment holders are commercial growers. The national information we use makes it clear that the produce is for personal use and to share with friends and family.”
Former chef Andy Price is one of the newest allotment holders. He said: “I mapped out my own path and am looking forward to growing my own vegetables.”