High Speed Broadband Reaches Milestone

June 17, 2015 Spilsby Online 0

Broadband speeds across Lincolnshire are soaring thanks to the county council’s broadband partnership with BT. The Onlincolnshire project is this week announcing that high-speed fibre broadband has now reached more than 100,000 homes and businesses. It’s also being revealed that RAF Scampton, home of the famous Red Arrows, is one of the areas to recently benefit from the countywide roll-out. A new fibre broadband cabinet that serves the base has been installed and switched on, […]

Are you paying too much for your broadband?

July 10, 2014 Spilsby Online 0

Have you ever seen advertisements for broadband on television?  Some of the deals they offer are absolutely fantastic offering unlimited broadband for less than a fiver a month!  When ADSL broadband was first available it could cost upwards of £30 a month for a very limited service and only available in certain places. Brilliant!  Let’s go and sign up for a new, cheaper provider than the one that currently charges us three times that much.  […]

Superfast speeds are ‘just around the corner’

March 13, 2013 Spilsby Online 0

Superfast speeds are just around the corner with a multi-million pound broadband project due to start imminently. Businesses and communities across Lincolnshire are set to benefit from fast, affordable fibre broadband as Lincolnshire County Council and BT revealed the details of the planned roll out of superfast broadband across the county. The council has signed a contract with BT to build on the existing telecoms infrastructure in the county so that at least 88% of […]

Consultation Begins For Lincolnshire Broadband Plans

August 17, 2012 Spilsby Online 0

Lincolnshire County Council is now consulting on plans to bring superfast broadband to 90% of the county by the end of 2015, with the remaining 10% guaranteed standard broadband. This is a joint-project between the private and public sector, and will see around £57m invested in improving the county’s broadband infrastructure. Councillor Kelly Smith, Executive Member for Finance and HR, said: “This is a chance for residents, local businesses, broadband suppliers and others to have […]

Comment: The Broadband Triple Whammy

March 23, 2012 Spilsby Online 0

Lack of decent landline broadband in the Spilsby postcode area is part of a triple whammy of broadband problems for the area. As was reported late last month, a report by Uswitch.com highlighted the PE23 postcode area as the worst in Lincolnshire for broadband speed.  That article became the most read article of all time of Spilsby Online, with over six times the usual article readership within just a few days.  Other follow up articles […]

Spilsby Is One Of UK’s Worst Broadband Blackspots

February 24, 2012 Spilsby Online 0

Spilsby has one of the slowest postcodes in the UK, with an average broadband speed of just 2.03 Mbps, according to a survey by comparison site uSwitch.com. With an average broadband speed of just 1.11 Mbps, Winchelsea (TN36), a small village in East Sussex, currently holds the unenviable title of having the slowest average broadband speed of any postcode in the UK, six times slower than the national average. Spilsby (PE23) is number 12 on […]